Skip to main content area
Environmental Management
Protecting Public Health and the Environment

Mobile Food Vendors

The phrase "Mobile Food Vendor" or “Mobile Food Facility” refers to several different types of vehicles that food is sold from.  Some examples include:

Photo: Example of permit stickers on the side of a mobile food truck

Valid permit sticker on side of mobile food truck

  • ice cream trucks
  • hot dog carts
  • churro carts
  • frozen meat sales trucks
  • sandwich trucks
  • hot lunch trucks

All Mobile Food Facilities are required to have a valid permit sticker at all times for the county where food is being sold. 

To obtain a permit, the vehicle must meet all requirements, submit a commissary verification form, complete an application, pay the annual permit fee, and pass an inspection.   

Vehicles must pass inspection every year to maintain a current permit sticker. 

Please Note: Vehicles that do not pass on the first inspection may be required to pay a reinspection fee for additional inspections. 

To apply for a permit or find out more information,
please contact EMD at (916) 875-8440.


Mobile Food Videos

Further Information

Specialists are available to answer questions and conduct inspections Mon-Fri from 8am – 10am at the EMD (916) 875-8440. Please see Mobile Food Facility Forms & Documents for further guidance.

Translation Disclaimer