Sign up to receive Solid Waste (Solid Waste Facilities, SWA Recycling, Medical Waste, Waste Tires) latest information
The Sacramento County Environmental Management Department (EMD) implements and enforces Title IV (business and multi-family recycling) and provides regulatory oversight of Title II (commercial solid waste collection, transportation, and disposal) of the Sacramento Regional Solid Waste Authority (SWA) code within the City of Sacramento and the unincorporated areas of Sacramento County.
Since 1992, the Sacramento Regional Waste Authority (SWA) has been responsible for the commercial solid waste, recycling, and disposal needs in the Sacramento area.
The SWA is an autonomous governmental organization, or Joint Powers Authority (JPA) funded by franchise fees and governed by a Board of Directors consisting of elected officials from the County and the member cities. Current members include the City of Sacramento and the unincorporated area of Sacramento County.
For more information, visit wasterightsac.com
EMD staff conducts on-site inspections at businesses and multi-family properties on behalf of the SWA.
Commercial businesses and multi-family properties must use recyclable services from Franchised Waste Haulers or authorized haulers.
- Businesses that generate four (4) or more cubic yards of solid waste (garbage) per week are required to arrange for the collection of recyclable materials.
- Businesses that generate two (2) or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste (garbage and recycling) per week are required to arrange for the collection of organic materials. This includes food waste and green waste.
- All multi-family properties with five (5) or more units are required to arrange for the collection or recyclable materials
- Multi-family properties that generate four (4) or more cubic yards of garbage and recycling are required to arrange for the collection of green waste materials.
- Multi-Family properties must meet a 30% Recycling Standard .
- For more information, visit WasteRightSac.com
For more program information, please contact:
Sacramento County Environmental Management Department
Environmental Compliance Division
11080 White Rock Rd., Suite 200
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670